Saturday, October 5, 2013

Free Money! Great, now that I´ve got your attention...

            Yeah, it’s been a while since I’ve written in here last.  Not sure how many loyal readers I had, but to those that were, sorry.  I distinctly remember telling at least Jessica Hemmer (aka Hammer) that I would write in here at least once a week, but as of now I’m not sure if that’s going to happen.  Once every two weeks maybe? We’ll see.
            Anyways, I first thought I’d write about swimming in a volcanic crater, going to the beach, or perhaps the parasite babies (eggs) I had in my intestines that hatched on Monday morning (which made me the father to many unruly children).  But who wants to read about that.   It was when I was washing my clothes that I finally decided on what to write.  Everyone has to wash their clothes, so I figured I’d teach you how to wash your clothes Nica style. 
            Step one: Go to your patio (aka backyard) and put all of your clothes next to the lavandera.  One side is filled with water, and the other has a washboard.  You want to place your first piece of clothing down, fill a bowl with water and then pour it on your article of clothing.  In this case, I took a picture of my shirt.  I usually only wash my underwear and socks (my host mom washes the rest), but I figured you would all appreciate me not including a picture of those.

The lavandera

            Step 2: Rub the bar of soap into the article of clothing, followed by pouring a bit more water over it.   After this, you must use every muscle you have to grind it into the concrete washboard.   If your host mom or neighbor happens to see you doing otherwise, they will happily correct you.  Now I bet you’re thinking, that can’t be good for your clothes.  All I have to say to that is my favorite pair of jeans finally saw their last Nicaraguan wash cycle today.  (That being said, I am still very grateful that I don’t have to wash the majority of my clothes myself…it’s quite the workout).
            Step 3:  Once you are losing your breath washing a pair of underwear or shirt, it’s time to wring it out and put it in another bucket of fabric softener and let it sit either for a few hours or overnight.

The essential fabric softener stage

            Step 4: Well, I’m not completely sure what step four is.  Every time I’ve done my laundry it just magically appears on the clothesline the next day.  I can imagine you just have to rinse and wring dry before putting it up. 
            Not a step: This washing method may be a bit harder than at home, but it uses a lot less electricity (just to pump the water you use), and if you know what you’re doing (I don’t), usually less water.  And thus concludes another life lesson that most of you will never need to know.  Glad to help J

But wait, there’s more!!!
Tired of using too much water when you shower?!  Is the water in your shower just too hot?! OWWW! Then I’ve got the thing for you…. BUCKET SHOWERS!! They are everything you dreamed of and more.  If you are dying to learn how to bathe in cold* water with a bowl and a bucket, this is one post you’ll not want to miss.**  And if you read it within an hour of me posting, you’ll receive an additional paragraph on what to do when they shut the water off.  Visit the website at the top of you’re screen for more info.  Do it now, before it’s too late!!

*Lack of water heaters=refreshing

**We’ve acted out one too many infomercials in class, there’s not actually going to be another blog post on bucket showers; I wouldn’t put you through that too after this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment