Thursday, November 7, 2013

First days in site

            Well, I’ve been at my new site for a few days, and it’s already been quite an interesting experience.  I’ve been observing classes at one of my schools, went on an awesome 3-hour hike with my host brother in the mountains around my town, and more!  I haven’t really been able to go out on my own yet, and won’t be able to for at least the next month or so.   That aspect has been a bit difficult to get used to, but I’ve definitely been getting a lot of reading in, and have also been practicing my Spanish a lot (my site is relatively safe, but my family just doesn’t want me walking around before I know everyone for security reasons).  I haven’t been bringing my camera around to avoid looking like a typical gringo tourist and because I really don’t want to have anything stolen from me my first week in site.  If I had my camera on that 3 hour hike it would have likely lasted at least another hour, and this blog post would be all pictures.  No words can express how beautiful the hike was, so I’ll try and keep its description short
            We started off on the main road, and hiked up to the pine tree reserve (yes, there are plenty of pine trees in my town!).  We hiked through that for a while, which consisted of many more inclines than declines, but also had plenty of places to rest and look out over the mountains.  It was a bit later in the afternoon, so the sun was hitting the trees and mountains perfectly for the last hour and half of the hike.  From there we continued into a farm area, where there were mainly coffee plants and banana trees, but also looked like a rainforest at times.  Our final destination was an Ecolodge called Finca Esperanza Verde, which had one of the most amazing vistas/miradors I’ve seen in Nicaragua, or anywhere for that matter.  It definitely helped that the sun was just hitting the top of the closest mountain peak.  The lodge was started by two PC volunteers from North Carolina in the past, and now is a running Ecolodge and organic farm that grows everything from coffee to regular veggies.  To finish off the afternoon we walked back down another road and made it back to my house in about half an hour just as the sun was finally setting completely.  Before we left I had just asked my host brother to walk me around to help me get to know people, and that’s what we ended up doing.  It was pretty great!

            Finally, I just have a list of things I’ve gotten used to here so far.  Disculpe (excuse me) if I’ve mentioned these before. 
  • Showering in the backyard with ice cold water (scratch that, not sure if I’ll ever get used to that one)
  • Having the 2 family pigs block my exit or entrance to my room


  • Sleeping on a very thin colchón (meant to be a mattress, but more like a thin mattress pad).  It’s actually not that bad!
  • No Internet in town!! If I want to use the Internet, I have to take a bus half an hour into my municipality.  It’s nice to be less connected.  I just type out all my e-mails and blog posts in my room and bring them into town on a flash drive.
  • Rice, beans, cuajada (type of cheese), freshly homemade corn tortillas, occasionally eggs from our chickens that roam around my house, and sugary fresco (drink).  Not much variety, but it’s all pretty great and filling!
  • The outhouse… it became so much easier when I abandoned the hover. 
  • There’s one Catholic Church and four Evangelical churches in my town of less than 800.  I’ve learned to just stay clear of the topic of evolution (even if the teacher that is teaching epochs in time asks you what you think). 
  • Lodo… otherwise known as mud.  In a month it will become polvo (dust).  If you ever visit me, you’ll definitely become familiar with one of those two words. 
  • Wearing tube socks whenever I wear shorts to hide my tattoo.  Yes, it looks as funny as you’re probably imagining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment