Friday, February 28, 2014

My life in Pictures


         Instead writing about my past few weeks, I figured I’d let some pictures with captions do the talking.

We got a piglet!

 It would have been welcome to the family, but unfortunately I have to change it to RIP Mariposa.  You escaped the rough life of most dogs in Nicaragua.  (I hope preceding this with a cute pig made this one a bit better….?)

 Classes get cancelled a lot here for whatever reason with little to no warning (quite a change from back home…nothing short of the pending apocalypse would have kept my high school superintendent from calling classes).   Sometimes, however, it’s nice to make the most out of the situation and go for an awesome hike with some Peace Corps friends!



I made tree nurseries with my two schools!




I was hiking around the ecolodge near my site the other day and got within 4 feet of a sloth!! Didn’t have a camera with me though…




   It is much more acceptable here just toss any trash you have on the ground.  It will be a big project trying to change this habit in my students!  That being said, I got really excited yesterday to see a group of people in my community collecting trash.  I quickly grabbed my camera and joined in!

 Unfortunately, all of the trash was then burned in several piles.  There is no trash collection here, so I regularly smell burning plastic…yum!  That being said, it’s still nice to see groups of community members doing something about the trash problem.  One step at a time!

  And just for good measure, here’s a dog with unproportionately large ears.  (And for the Sawbill Crew: Imagine Roy with those ears!) 


No comments:

Post a Comment